Location Madison Correctional Institution
Offenses Aggravated Murder
Sentence Min/Max 20 YEARS/LIFE
Date Admitted 08/27/1990
Next Eligibility Hearing Date 08/30/2023
In March of 1980, Angela Florimonte and Daniel Johnson were married. Over the course of the next 7 years, the two of them had three children, but grew apart and eventually separated. The two did not legally divorce, but signed a “separation agreement.” Johnson then moved to Tennessee and married another woman in the fall of 1989. He kept this fact a secret from Angela and even his own family in Ohio.

On Christmas day, 1989, Angela made arrangements to purchase a car for $1500. She told the seller that Johnson had agreed to purchase the car for her. The next day, Angela called the seller and told her that Johnson was going to pick her up from work at 6pm and they would be there by 6:15pm to purchase the car. They never arrived for the meeting.

At 5:30pm, Johnson stopped by Angela’s mother, Dolores’ house on his way to taking his 7 year-old son, Stephen, to a cub scout meeting. He told her Dolores that he needed to pick up Stephen’s scout book, and asked her if she had heard from Angela. He said that Angela was supposed to call him, but that he had not heard from her. Dolores never heard from her daughter again. Angela was last seen by a co-worker at 6p at the end of her shift.

At approximately 6:20pm, Johnson called Dolores and asked her to call the scout master and tell him he was running late. An hour later, Johnson stopped by Dolores’ house to drop off the scout book and again asked if she had heard from Angela. When she told him she had not, Johnson told her Angela had said she might be working late that night. Unbeknownst to Dolores, Angela was already dead and her badly beaten body was in the back of Johnson’s truck. In a petition to elicit opposition to his release, Stephen Johnson, wrote that Johnson had picked him up late from scouts that day. “With her body in the back of his pick up truck, we drove to a barn in Vevay, Indiana where he dug a hole and buried her in a barn that me and my two younger sisters played in daily. Yes we played in the dirt over top of our mothers brutally beaten lifeless body.”

At the time of Angela’s disappearance, Johnson told police that he was going to buy the car for her, and had withdrawn $1500 from his work 401K for that purpose. A check of the records showed that no such withdrawal had been made. Police continued to investigate Angela’s disappearance, and the case was eventually turned over to the homicide division. Almost a month after her disappearance, detectives confronted Johnson with the inconsistencies in his story and he confessed to killing Angela.

He admitted that he picked her up from work at 6pm, and claimed the two had gotten into an argument over the kids and money. He claimed that Angela said she would kill the children or have them killed if he did not give her what she wanted. He then struck her in the head and neck with a pipe wrench, killing her. He then led police to the barn and the exact location where he had buried her. Angela’s body was found approximately 2-3 feet deep. She was partially nude, with her pants and underwear down around her ankles. Johnson denied raping her, and said they had not had sex for more than 8 months. He claimed that after he killed her, he pulled down her pants and underwear to make it look like someone had raped her. The autopsy revealed the presence of semen in her vaginal canal and determined that Angela suffered at least 10 distinct blows from a blunt object.

After he was indicted for Aggravated Murder as a capital offense, Kidnapping and Rape, Johnson then claimed to not remember any of the events of that day. During his psychological evaluation, Johnson claimed that the day before his confession to police, a co-worker of his, Frank Price, pulled a gun on him during a coffee break and told him he had killed Angela. Johnson further claimed that Price threatened to kill the rest of his family unless he confessed to police. Johnson would do so, but selectively claimed amnesia about the most damning details.

Ultimately, Johnson entered into a plea agreement whereby he pleaded guilty to Aggravated Murder in exchange for dismissal of the death penalty specification and the remainder of the charges against him. Unfortunately, life without the possibility of parole was not an available sentence at the time of his conviction, but it is the sentence he deserves. Through his plea deal, Johnson has already received the only reduction in sentence he should ever get.

The Ohio Parole Board has made a preliminary decision to recommend Johnson be released. For the brutal murder of his estranged wife, Johnson deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison. Please join the family and the Hamilton County Prosecutors Office in voicing opposition to his release.

Go to Top